- Light emitting diode treatment is also known as LED therapy for skin, which uses different waves of blue and red lights.
- The first user of this therapy is NASA, who used it for plant growth projects, but later they found out that this treatment can be beneficial for wound healing. This treatment is widely used by aestheticians to produce new skin cells, and this way it can help the signs of aging and acne.
- When you opt for this therapy, the healthcare professional will use varying wavelengths of red and blue lights on the skin, where they will use red for the signs of aging the blue for acne treatment.
- LED therapy is safe because it doesn't use ultraviolet rays, while other treatments are based on UV rays. So, you can use this treatment regularly without any risk of skin damage.
- This treatment does not cause any kind of irritation or burn on the skin surface like other therapies such as laser dermabrasion, and chemical peels therapy. Therefore, it may be safer for all colors of skin and types.
- You must avoid opting for this therapy, if you take acne medicine Accutane, or if you are getting severe rashes on the skin.
- Although there is a rare side-effect to LED skin treatment, in severe cases it can be rashes, redness, or inflammation.
The benefits of this therapy
- If you opt for the treatment at the clinic, it will take only twenty minutes, and you have to visit the place for ten weeks continuously. And after that, you have to follow up the therapy once for some months.
- If you are having the treatment at home with an LED device, you won't have to make any appointments at the clinic, as you can get the treatment at your convenient times. However, with a home procedure, you will not get the best results.
The price of this treatment
- One appointment for LED light treatment will cost you twenty-five dollars to eighty-five dollars, but it will depend on your country and the location you live in, also, if you are adding other therapies with it.
- If you go for a home LED kit, the price will be two fifty dollars to twenty-five dollars.
Effectiveness of this therapy
- When the healthcare professional applies the therapy as per the instructions, you will get better and improved skin after the treatment. You also have to take care of your skin to keep the results intact.
- However, if you use a home LED device for this treatment, it may not be as effective as the clinic therapy, and it's also not proven for effectiveness.
What is Light Emitting Diode Treatment?
This treatment has become popular and it's widely used by aestheticians and at home to produce new skin cells, and this way it can help the signs of aging and acne. The treatment procedure uses different light waves and it helps in the cases of:
- Offers better effects for signs of aging
- Treats inflammation
- Reduces acne
You can opt for LED light treatment if you are suffering from the above skin issues, and you haven't received any good results using cosmetics or drugstore products. This therapy is also very safe for all types of skin colors, so you will feel no burning sensation. However, there are some downsides to it such as:
- The treatment isn't safe if you have some ongoing skin disorders, or you take some medications.
- You will not get guaranteed results
- The therapy is costly
You need to talk to a skin doctor about the risks and benefits of this treatment, and if you can opt for it.
What is the price of this treatment?
Your insurance will not cover this cost, so you have to ask for the cost beforehand, so you can arrange the budget.
According to RealSelf.com, one appointment for LED light treatment will cost you twenty-five dollars to eighty-five dollars, but it will depend on your country and the location you live in, also, if you are adding other therapies with it.
It's important to note that, many skin care professionals suggest ten sessions, so you need to make the budget based on the cost and the clinic. Also, if you go for a home LED kit, the price will be two fifty dollars to twenty-five dollars.
However, this LED light treatment isn't like laser therapy, which means it's a non-invasive procedure, and you won't be in trouble if you spare some time from work.
The working procedure
LED light treatment has a history of healing the skin. In the 1990s, The U.S. Navy SEALSs used this therapy to treat wounds and to produce new tissues to replace the damaged ones in the muscles.
Since that time, this therapy has become the main focus of many studies and research, as it may have the ability to grow new cells and collagen from the damaged part of the skin. You will get better effects from, wrinkles, acne, and signs of aging.
The therapy uses different light wavelengths, and it can be blue or red, and it doesn't contain UV rays, also the skin can absorb it pretty quickly.
LED Red light
The LED light treatment uses infrared or red light to treat various skin issues like epidermis. When the healthcare professional uses the red light on the affected spot, the skin absorbs it and instigates the collagen under the skin.
Theoretically, a large amount of collage will make your skin look healthy and smooth, and it may diminish the wrinkles and age lines. You may get better blood circulation and relief from inflammation, and it will bring back your previous glow.
LED Blue light
On the other hand, if you are getting treated with the blue LED light, it will focus on the sebaceous glands, which produce oil and are located under the follicles of hair.
These oil-producing glands keep your hair and skin oily, so you won't get a dry surface. However, sebaceous glands can start to produce more oil, which can result in acne and oily skin issues.
Theoretically, with the help of blue LED light, these glands will become less effective. As the result, there will be reduced breakouts of acne.
Sometimes, Blue LED light is combined with the red light to treat issues such as:
According to a 2018 study source, blue LED light treatment can heal third-degree burn conditions, and offer better healing.
How LED light treatment works?
When you opt for the treatment at the clinic, it will take only twenty minutes, and you have to visit the place for ten weeks continuously. And after that, you have to follow up the therapy once for some months. This procedure was started by Esthetician EDU. Some healthcare professionals, ask you to lie down under the LED lights, while in other types, they use a wand-like device to apply on your skin.
How to use it at home?
If you have no time to spare to go to the clinic, you can use a home procedure. You can get a wand device, and masks to apply on your skin for some minutes. You have to follow the device instructions properly.
The usage of LED light treatment is more applicable to the face because this part of the body faces the most damage. You can also apply it on your chest and neck, and in other places where the signs of aging are more pronounced.
Side effects and risks
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, this treatment is safe. The light is not infused with ultraviolet rays, so it won't harm your skin, and it's a non-invasive procedure, so you will not in danger of risks.
The healthcare provider may suggest you this therapy if you have sensitive or darker skin. And unlike laser therapy, it won't give a burning sensation on the skin, also there will be no pain.
However, there are still some risks with LED light treatment. If you are using acne medicine Accutane, you mustn't opt for this therapy, because this medicine uses vitamin A, and using the treatment will enhance the sensitivity of your skin, which can lead to scars.
If you are sensitive to sunlight, this therapy isn't for you. If you have active rashes on your skin, you have to look for other treatments. You can consult a dermatologist if you suffer from psoriasis. You can get relief with the red LED light treatment, but only when you use it with the doctor-prescribed rules.
You may get side effects but they weren't visible during the medical trials. You need to contact your physician immediately if you face these issues after getting the therapy:
- Skin tenderness
- Skin rashes
- Redness on skin
Things to do after the treatment
This treatment is non-invasive, so you won't have to take a day off, as you can continue with your daily tasks after getting the treatment.
When you opt for clinical therapy, you have to go for ten sessions, and you will start to notice the good result after a week. You will get a more impressive result when you have completed all the sessions.
However, after you have completed the treatment sessions, you may face the breakouts of acne and other skin issues. For this, you need to opt for maintenance therapy, and your skincare provider will recommend you this.
When you are using the home LED light treatment, you won't get a higher light frequency, so the effect will not be highly satisfactory.
How to prepare yourself for the LED light treatment
In the clinic, you will get at least twenty minutes of therapy, and you will have to wear eye protection. If you are using the clinic or home therapy, your face and other parts of your body should be makeup free.
Ways to find a skincare provider
An effective LED light treatment is best to get the perfect result for your skin. The therapy may be combined with other skin treatments like microdermabrasion. Only dermatologists and licensed aestheticians can offer this therapy. Also, this is a new type of treatment for skin, so you need to look for professionals who are well versed with this therapy, and search for a clinic in your location.